Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi

Blurb:Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now. Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.




 Sadly this book and I didn't click. If I had read it back when it came out maybe I wouldn't have found it so full of cliches...maybe.

No one gives a shit about Juliette for about 17 yrs and then suddenly everyone wants/love her. *riiiight*
Conveniently the two people that "love" her have this rare immunity to her touch *awfully convenient, yes?*
Add the fact that to my tastes there was way too much romance...by the end of the book was sick of reading about how perfect Adam were and how good his lips felt----*roll eyes *
Oh! And I was forgetting...Juliette is so beautiful and people can't stop staring at her/repeating how beautiful she is and then some *remember: no one gave a shit about her for 17 yrs...*

The characters left me cold, I really didn't care about any of them except Kenji and James (I basically liked only the secondary characters lol)
-Juliette: I found her quite annoying and too whiny but she didn't bore me to death like Ruby of " The Darkest Minds". Points for her.
-Adam: He was kind of cute but I hope he won't turn out into an overprotective mother hen. Let's say that even though I didn't fell for him, I found him tolerable.
-Warren: I didn't like him either but I appreciated his role as psycho antagonist. He should explain to me how he hopes to have Juliette love him, especially when he says things like: "I didn't give you permission to have personal possessions"---- Oh man you really know how to win a girl---not!!

The pacing was good and the writing smooth and original. However, at some point it felt too repetitive and forcefully so, besides I found some of the metaphors used really ridiculous: "Heat rushes up my neck and I fall off a ladder holding a paintbrush dipped in read"
What the fuck! Seriously----What.The.Fuck.

In the end I sort of enjoyed the reading but didn't really like the book and the characters left me cold. I will read the 2nd book, though.



 Rating: 3.5 blossoms*

*I'm adding 1/2 stars due to the fact that Shatter Me is short and easy to read. So even if I didn't exactly like the book, I still read it in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment